Monday 23 May 2011

Making the Curtains

For Gregors room, I decided to use a dark green fabric; this needed to match the wallpaper and fit in well with the story. It needed to be heavy so that it draped nicely, however heavy fabric is often very expensive. In the end I decided to go for a dark green velour, which was relatively cheap,but a bit thin; so I lined it with a thick creamy canvas to make it heavy and therefore hang better off the rail.
to create the actual curtain it was pretty simple, I made them two and a half foot wide, by four foot long. II wanted them to drape on the floor, as that is what all my research has told me about czechoslovakia at that time.
I hemmed the top and bottom and made a sort of fold over the top ege so that the hoops could be attached easier and less visibly...





To attach the curtains to the hoops, I cut out little scraps of the strong canvas fabric and hand stitched them on to the top hem of the curtains. I then tied them securely to each other using these little home-made ribbons, and im quite pleased with the final outcome. This is what i found in my research too, the simple ways of attaching the curtains or drapes up without the modern invention of plastic hooks.

I created the living room curtains in much the same way, except because it was such a thin, light fabric, it frayed quite a lot so I had to use the overlocker on a few of the edges. I also used the steam press to fold and iron the curtains out to look nice and pristine.

No comments:

Post a Comment